Class of 2016 Distinguished Alumni honored
- Harper College News Bureau
- November 7, 2016
Harper College recently held its 2016 Distinguished Alumni Awards, an annual honor saluting former students for outstanding career and community achievements. The initiative was launched in 2008 as part of Harper's 40th anniversary celebration.
Since then, 53 recipients representing a variety of educational journeys and professional paths have been honored. Honorees have included mayors, a fire chief, a National Geographic-honored geoarchaeologist, a former NFL player, an Emmy-nominated screenwriter, entrepreneurs and accomplished health care workers.
Five honorees were recognized during an awards ceremony and reception at the Wojcik Conference Center:
- Dr. Matthew J. Barbini, Deputy Superintendent of Schools, Palatine School District 15
- Paolo Cascio, Cinematographer and Photographer
- Genevieve Frey, Director, Cardiac Care Unit, Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago
- Alva J. Kreutzer, President, Board of Education, Township High School District 214
- Reveca Torres, Founder and Executive Director, Backbones
New Distinguished Alumni will return to campus to be a guest speaker or participate in an activity designed to engage students.
“Harper has been a springboard for so many alumni who go on to accomplish great things in their professions and their communities,” said Fredia Martin, Director of Alumni and Affinity Groups. “This is an opportunity to recognize the alumni who are now inspiring others.”
Media contact:Kim Pohl, Media Relations Manager, 847.925.6159