Skip to content

Transfer of Credit

  1. Degree and certificate-seeking students who have attended any other college(s) and want their transcripts evaluated must have an official transcript from each college or university attended sent to the Admissions Processing Office immediately upon being admitted to Harper College. Official transcripts will be evaluated as they are received and students will receive an email to their Harper email account when they have been evaluated.   Results can be viewed online through the student portal. Transcript evaluations may take 2–3 weeks to process. Questions about transcript evaluations can be sent to

    ** Harper College has a residency requirement.  Students are required to take half the number of credits needed for certificate programs, and 18 hours of credit needed for degree programs at Harper College in order to meet the residency requirement.  The credit hours must be taken within the specific degree or certificate**

    A student may transfer credit to Harper College according to the following conditions:

    1. The collegiate institution previously attended must be a regionally accredited institution awarding college credit
    2. Credit may be transferred to Harper College for courses earning credit and successfully completed with a grade of D or better if the student's cumulative grade point average (GPA) is 2.0 or above (C average) at the previously attended institution. (Some programs may require grades of C or better, have time limitations or restrictions.  Please refer to the current curriculum for possible exceptions.) If the student's cumulative GPA is less than 2.0 at a previously attended institution, credit may be transferred for courses earning credit and successfully completed with a grade of C or better. The student's work at each institution is evaluated independently if several institutions were attended.
    3. Effective for students following the 1999-2000 Catalog (and thereafter), transfer students must earn a grade of C or better in their courses equivalent to ENG101 Composition and ENG102 Composition at the collegiate institution previously attended.  This requirement will be in place for the AA, AS, AFA, AES and some AAS degrees, as well as the IAI core curriculum for students who are not completing the degree
    4. Credit may be transferred, but the grades earned at other institutions are not transferred, nor are the grades included in computing the cumulative GPA at Harper College. Grades from other institutions may be used to determine whether a student has successfully met course prerequisites. Elective credit may also be awarded for transfer coursework with no direct equivalency at Harper College
    5. Courses which are a part of a department or program of study not offered by Harper College may be acceptable as elective credit
    6. Evaluation of credentials from a foreign country may be requested by contacting World Education Services or Educational Credential Evaluators

    Students may also use foreign evaluators that are members of NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services.)  The Office of the Registrar at Harper College will use the results to determine transfer of foreign credit to the College

    1. Evaluation of credentials from the military may be requested by contacting Joint Services Transcripts at
Last Updated: 6/6/19