Alumni and Friends Virtual 5K
On your mark, get set, GO!
Join the fun with Harper College’s Alumni and Friends Virtual 5K!
How to Participate
Register today and run your race at your own pace!
Walk, jog, run, bike or treadmill on your own or participate in our series of Virtual 5K activities on Harper’s campus.
Sign up today and start moving!
Anytime between October 1 - November 1, 2019
That’s right— you have an entire month to complete your customized 5K (3.1 miles).
Wherever you want!
$25 (proceeds to support student scholarships).
Registered participants will receive a race bib number that you can download/print and a Virtual 5K commemorative drawstring backpack.
Share your progress and race photos by tagging Harper College on social media and using the hashtag #harperalumni.
Virtual 5K activities at Harper (hosted by Campus Recreation and Wellness)
- Virtual 5K Kickoff Event! Thursday, October 10 from 5 – 6 p.m.: Health and Recreation, Building M, M2010: Virtual 5K kickoff event! Harper Distinguished Alumnus and owner of Elite Fitness Jim Inman will present “Run Smarter, Not Harder”. His presentation will cover all things running related – shoes, form, etc – followed by a group run/workout! Light refreshments will be provided. Free event, RSVP recommended!
- Group/Run Workout
Thursday, October 17 from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m.: Group run/workout. Meet in lobby of the Health and Recreation Building, Building M. Light refreshments will be provided. *Inclement weather location will occur on the indoor track at the Health and Recreation Center.
- Group/Run Workout
Thursday, October 24 from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m.: Group run/workout. Meet in lobby of the Health and Recreation Building, Building M. Light refreshments will be provided. *Inclement weather location will occur on the indoor track at the Health and Recreation Center.
- Let’s Run it! Wednesday, October 30 from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m.: Let’s run it! Group 5k run. Meet in the lobby of the Health and Recreation Building, Building M. Light refreshments will be provided. *Inclement weather location will occur on the indoor track at the Health and Recreation Center.
Congratulations! You did it!
Once you’ve completed your Virtual 5K let us know. Use the link below to send a photo, the date you participated and your time. If your 5K was in a unique location share that too—Harper alumni and friends are global. Whether your 5k is in Palatine or Paris, we can’t wait to see pics and hear about your experience!
Help build excitement and show off your accomplishment on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Share a photo after your run/walk along with fun details like your results, location and class year on social media with the hashtag #harperalumni. We’ll be watching for your posts and will then share with our network. See photos
To add to the excitement we’ll be awarding small prizes once the event is complete. Prize categories include:
- Best time by decade (years attended Harper)
- Most interesting photo submitted
- Most unique race venue/location
- Most Harper spirit
Prefer cycling to running? Sounds good to us!
If you’re a cyclist, or just prefer bike riding to walking/running, that works too. The only modification: this option is a 10K (6.2 miles)—everything else is exactly the same.
How can I be sure I'm an alum?
Whether you have taken one class, earned a certification or degree or have committed to a full life of learning at Harper, you’re an alum! But don't forget, the Virtual 5K is for Alumni and Friends of Harper College. Everyone is welcome to participate!
This month only, 5K registrants can complete the race at the newly opened Foglia Foundation Health and Recreation Center (Building M). After you register, print and bring your Harper Alumni and Friends 5K bib along with photo ID to receive up to four complimentary passes to the Health and Recreation Center from October 1 to November 1. Enjoy Harper's new fitness facility and the opportunity to run, walk or bike your 5K indoors!
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com.