Academic Advising FAQs

Please review these before you contact an advisor. Chances are you'll find the answer here.

How do I make an appointment with a counselor?
Make an appointment in-person or by phone at any of the counseling offices: Quick questions can be answered during specific times Monday through Thursday during each semester.  Call 847.925.6393 to verify counselor availability.
What courses do I need to complete my degree?
Every degree and certificate offered at Harper College has different requirements. Most degrees and many certificates require English, math and general education courses. Refer to the Harper College Catalog for particular degree, certificate requirements and course descriptions.

What is a degree/certificate evaluation?
A degree/certificate valuation will list the courses you have already taken and what you have left to take for your degree or certificate at Harper. Students can run their own degree/certificate evaluation through the My Harper Student Portal. If requested, a counselor can also review it and make a few notes for you. The reviewed evaluation can be picked either be picked up in our office or mailed to you.

How do I run or request a degree/certificate evaluation?
It's best to meet with a Harper counselor each semester. If you are unable to meet with a counselor, you can run your own degree/certificate evaluation through the My Harper Student Portal under the My Plan tab. The evaluation can be found under Educational Planning. You can request a degree/certificate evaluation to be reviewed by a counselor by calling 847.925.6393 or 847.925.6522. We are unable to process requests for degree/certificate evaluations via email.
How can I get verification that I am a degree-seeking student, for insurance purposes?
View Registration Policies to read more about Enrollment Verification.
Where can I learn about Financial Aid?
Contact the One Stop.
I have "F" grades on my transcript. Is there anything I can do about this?
Students are allowed to repeat courses and attempt to earn a higher grade for classes taken at Harper College. The highest grade received for that course will be used to compute the cumulative GPA.

The lower grades will remain on the transcript but not be used to compute your Harper College GPA. A student transferring to another college should check that school's repeat policy, as it may differ from the policy at Harper, resulting in a different transfer GPA. Another way to remove the "F" from your Harper GPA is through the Forgiveness Policy. You must meet with a counselor to determine if you are eligible to request Forgiveness for failed courses. If a grade is "forgiven" it will be taken out of the GPA, but will still remain on your transcript.

Medical Withdrawals are possible if you failed a course because you or a family member experienced a medical or psychological illness, and you can provide documentation. More information about Medical Withdrawals is found under Registration Policies and Procedures.

What happens to my GPA once I transfer?
When you transfer to other institutions, your credits transfer (if transferable) but your grades may not. For example, if you transfer to Harper College from another school, your GPA begins anew, even though you may have credits transferred in from another school. Some colleges also calculate a combined GPA.
What do I need to do to graduate? Will Harper automatically send my degree or certificate?
In order to graduate and receive your certificate or degree Submit the Application for Degree or Certificate Completion.

Are all students required to see a counselor before registering?  Why am I blocked from registering? What do I need to do to get the block off?

If you are a new degree-seeking student, you are required to attend Orientation which includes assessment testing, advising and registration. Contact the Center for New Students and Orientation for more information.

We encourage all students to talk to a counselor, but only students on Academic Probation and with other academic statuses reflecting academic difficulty (cumulative GPA below 2.0) are required to see a counselor, before being allowed to register. This is because we care about your success and want to do whatever we can to assist you in improving your academic performance. You will be contacted by mail if you are in any of these categories. You can review the Standards of Academic Performance in the College Catalog.

Where can I find course descriptions?
You can refer to the Harper College Catalog for particular degree, certificate requirements and course descriptions.

Can I get help working out my schedule?
Counselors will assist you with course selection and with the basics of putting together a class schedule. Working out a complete schedule and selection of class times is one of your responsibilities as a college student. Students with disabilities may request assistance with scheduling in Access and Disability Services.

How do I know which math class to take?
The first math class you take at Harper College is determined by your ACT score or by your score on the ALEKS Placement Test administered in the Assessment and Testing Center. Testing is available on a walk-in basis. If you have transfer credit from another school in college level math, you can bring your transcript to the Testing Office for a waiver of the test. Different majors require different kinds of math. The math class you take also depends on which school (or schools) to which you would like to transfer. See a counselor or call one of the offices listed above. Sometimes this question can be answered over the phone.

How do I know which courses transfer?
It is best to talk to a counselor about transferring courses to a specific college/university, as well as major requirements. We have transfer guides for many Illinois colleges and universities. You can obtain them at any one of the Counseling and Advising Centers. This and other transfer information is also available online. However, this information is not a substitute for meeting with a counselor. For example, it is best to talk to a counselor since the courses listed on the transfer guide may not be the only courses that transfer.

How do I drop a class?
Withdrawals can be made in writing to the Registrar's Office or on the My Harper Student Portal. (A fax with a signature is acceptable but email is NOT acceptable).  Classes dropped prior to the second week of classes in a 16-week term will not become a part of the student's permanent record.  A "W" grade will be assigned for withdrawal from classes after the beginning of the second week and prior to the thirteenth academic week. A grade of "F" will be assigned to a class dropped after the twelfth week of a full semester course. Remember, if you're not attending a class, it is your responsibility to drop the class. Your teacher cannot and will not automatically drop you. Talk to your counselor about deadlines for dropping classes or you can refer to Important Registration and Payment Dates (Deadlines differ depending on the start/end dates of the course.)

Your counselor can also help you explore the "pros and cons" of your decision. Dropping a class may impact your financial aid or athletic eligibility. Check with those departments or a counselor before dropping a class.

What if a class I need is full?
If a class is full, you must get permission from the instructor to register for it. It is really up to the instructor to decide if he or she can accommodate you. Sometimes there are other factors to consider, such as the number of possible seats in the classroom, or the availability of lab space or equipment (i.e. science or computer classes). It is important to have a back-up plan.

Consider other sections of the same course, a late-start class or choosing a different class, if possible. Some classes now offer the option of putting your name on a waiting list; when a seat opens up, before the semester begins, you will be sent an email, asking if you would like the seat. You must respond within 24 hours, or that seat will be offered to the next person on the waiting list. Not all classes offer this option.

What if I want to add a class that has already started, but is not full?
Beginning with the fall 2014 semester, students may not register for credit courses once they have started. The deadline to register for a class online is 11:59 p.m. the day before the first official class meeting. Students can register in person in the Office of the Registrar during normal business hours on the day a class begins if the class has not yet started. Registration on the day a class starts can also be done via email to the Office of the Registrar and must be completed before the class start time. If you have any questions about the new Late Registration Policy, please contact the One Stop.
Transfer previous college credit to Harper College to earn your degree or certificate faster.

How can I get my grades sent to another school?

Complete a Transcript Request Form.
How much does a credit hour cost at Harper?
View tuition and fee information.