Classroom Management Resources
Classroom management is a crucial but not always enjoyable aspect of the responsibilities of college faculty members. There are a variety of proactive steps that can be taken to minimize the risk of disruption to the learning environment, including:
- Getting to know your students and developing positive relationships with them.
- Providing and explaining your expectations for behavior and academic performance.
- Being reasonable with your expectations and treating students like adults.
- Applying standards consistently - for both academics and behavior.
- Respecting college procedures and balancing students' individual rights with the goals and mission of the college.
Once disruption does occur, you have the ability to resolve or (at a minimum) influence the situation in ways that are least disruptive to students. The following resources (as well as other sections of this site) are provided to help you prevent, address, and document behaviors exhibited by students.