Below you will find links to resources related to the discipline. If you find a site
that you believe should be included in this collection of resources, be sure to let us know.
- Semiotics and the Media: Created by Tom Streeter, this site contains a hypertext essay that explains how
semiotics is used to analyze advertising, the media, and contemporary culture.
- Purdue University Online Writing Lab: Also known as "OWL," Purdue's online writing lab is an excellent resource for writers.
It offers handouts and materials covering everything from grammar to MLA style and
An extensive resource, this site contains an abundance of searchable references, from
the American Heritage Dictionary to Simpson's Contemporary Quotations.
- Absolut Ad: This well-designed and well-organized site offers an extensive collection of Absolut
ads, as well as spoofs of the popular campaign.
- Ad Access: Maintained by Duke University, Ad Access offers images and database information for over 7,000 advertisements printed between
1911 and 1955.
- Ad Flip: Hailed as the "world's largest archive of classic print and magazine ads," Ad Flip offers an extensive collection of advertisements from the 1940s through today.
- ADSlogans: This site offers a large database of advertising slogans, catchphrases, straplines,
claims, end lines, and taglines.
- Adbusters: Through creative resistance, this not-for-profit magazine seeks to change "the way
we interact with the mass media and the way in which meaning is produced in our society."
- Memefest: Tired of "radical doses of branding and commercial information," this site offers
a collection of user-submitted anti-ad art.
Television & Film
- ABC.com offers network information and details about such shows as 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter, The Bachelor, and The Bachelorette.
- CBS.com offers network information and details about such shows as CSI, Everybody Loves Raymond, and Survivor.
- FOX.com offers network information and details about such shows as American Idol, That '70s Show, and Temptation Island.
- History of Reality Television: In an attempt to account for the success of shows like Survivor, this piece takes a look at the history of reality-based programming.
- Internet Movie Database
This extensive database offers film summaries and cast information as well as actor
biographies, filmographies, and photos.
- NBC.com offers network information and details about such shows as Ed, Friends, Scrubs, and Will and Grace.
- Rotten Tomatoes: A database of reviews from the nation's top critics, this site offers a unique rating
system that assigns films "fresh" or "rotten" ratings based on critical consensus.
- Capitol Records: This site offers news about and previews of such artists as Coldplay, Radiohead,
The Dandy Warhols, Snoop Dogg, Jane's Addiction, and Dirty Vegas.
- Eminem--The Official Site: This official site of the controversial rapper includes news, tour information,
audio, video, forums, and more.
- MTV.com offers music news and reviews, television show details, a database of bands, streaming
music, and more.
- Sony Music: The home of Columbia, Epic, and other associated recording labels, this site offers
news about and previews of such artists as Bow Wow, Jessica Simpson, and John Mayer.
- Virgin Records: This site offers news about and previews of such artists as The Rolling Stones,
Lenny Kravitz, Norah Jones, Ben Harper, and Gang Starr.
Sports and American Culture
- ESPN.com offers sports news, scores, fantasy games, chats, opinion, and more.
- Gender Equity and Sports: Maintained by the Univeristy of Iowa, this site offers coverage of Title IX, including
an overview, lawsuits, related actions, and resources.
- National Basketball Association (NBA): The official site of the NBA, this site offers links to all of the major teams,
stats, news, schedules, standings, highlights, and more.
- Major League Baseball (MLB)The official site of the MLB, this site offers links to all of the major teams, stats,
news, schedules, standings, and more.
- National Football League (NFL): The official site of the NFL, this site offers news, stats, standings, teams and
players, logos, and more.
- PGA Tour: This site offers golf scores, news, statistics, schedules, and player information
for the PGA, Champions, Nationwide, LPGA, and European Tours.
- SI.com: The product of CNN and Sports Illustrated, this site offers comprehensive sports coverage, including news, scores, opinion,