Suggestions to Minimize Property Loss
- Keep your departmental inventory list updated. Include location of the equipment and
who is responsible for maintenance, daily checks, etc.
- Establish a check out system for all equipment loaned or removed. If an item is taken
out of storage and its location and intended date of return is not documented, it
will be difficult to show an actual theft of the equipment. Without evidence of theft, a missing item becomes a case of "mysterious disappearance"
which is not covered by insurance.
- Make sure property is secured when not in use. If your equipment or property is publicly
accessible after hours, consider a check-in point with a responsible person monitoring
use and activity.
- Post notification of proper use of and care for the equipment.
- Keep rooms or offices locked when unoccupied.
- Be fire safety conscious; do not use extension cords or space heaters for long-term
- Be sure to turn off all appliances when the building is unoccupied.
- Become familiar with the use of a fire extinguisher.
- Don't let combustibles in storage areas and hallways accumulate.