To prepare you to reach your educational goals, before you register for a Math class or if you're a New Degree Seeking student, you may need to take a placement test.
Waiver Options (Yes! No test)
Students who meet any of the following criteria may bypass Math placement testing and enroll directly into the Math class indicated under Placement below.
- ACT - Math score of 22-36. Must have been taken within the last eighteen months.
- SAT - Math score of 530 or higher. Must have been taken within the last eighteen months.
- High School GPA - 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale or 4.0 or higher on a 5.0 scale. In addition, must have a grade of 'C' or better in a fourth year high school math course. All high school math courses must be NCAA eligible. Based on seventh semester or later cumulative unweighted High School GPA. Must have been earned within the last eighteen months.
- GED - Score of 165 or higher on the Math sub-section, must have been taken within the last eighteen months.
- Aligned High School MTH080 Final Exam - Must have scored at least a 70% on exam offered at participating District 211, 214, and 220 high schools. Must have been taken within the last eighteen months.
- Illinois High School Portable Transitional Math Options - Must have a cumulative 'C-' grade or better over two semesters. Must have been taken within the last eighteen months.
- Transfer Math Course - Transfer college-level Math course with a grade of C- or higher.
Have you satisfied one more of the above test waiver options? If so, the next step is to submit the appropriate score report, high school transcript or college transcript to the Harper College One Stop office. For more information about submitting these materials, contact One Stop at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847.925.6710.
Placement is based on test results. For more information please see the Math Placement Testing FAQ.
And I got a score of:
|61-100||College Math||MTH124, 140, 134, 220 & 225|
|46-100||College Math||MTH103 & 130|
|46-100||College Math||MTH101 & 165|
College Math with Support
(only for students needing calculus)
MTH103 + MTH083 co-req*
|30-45||College Math with Support||MTH101 + MTH081 co-req & MTH165 + MTH085 co-req|
|14-29||Prep for College Math||MTH065 & MGT150|
|0-13||Math Reboot||MTH065 + FYS101 Math Reboot|
* Students pursuing Calculus should try to place into MTH103+083 or higher. Utilizing the ALEKS Prep & Learning modules is important (and necessary in the case of retesting) to improving placement. This course also requires that the Geometry Waiver requirement be met (see below for how to satisfy).
- STEM Pathway or MTH080 final exam passed with the Geometry waiver - MTH 103 or 130
- Quantitative Literacy and Statistics Pathway or STEM Pathway or MTH080 exam passed without the Geometry waiver - MTH101 or 165.
All of these placements are considered college level math.
Geometry Waiver Options
Some math courses require a Geometry co-requisite, which can be met in the following ways:
- A 'C-' or better in two semesters of high school geometry.
- ACT Math subsection score of 22 or higher.
- SAT Math subsection score of 530 or higher.
- ALEKS score of 46 or higher.
- Completion of a college level math course.
- Completion of MTH 070 with a C or better.
No placement testing is required for MTH 097.
How do I know if the class I took counts for the High School Portable Transition waiver?
Talk to your guidance counselor! Classes accepted at Harper have the following portability codes:
- Quantitative Literacy and Statistics Pathway - TM002
- STEM Pathway - TM001
Choosing the Right Math Course
To better understand your course placement, or to figure out which Math course is best for you based on your academic goals, contact an Academic Advisor. Feel free to contact New Student Advising (located in Building C, room C104) at email@example.com or 847.925.6208.