How to Make a Virtual Speech
Thank you for contributing your presentation to Harper College. Below are some tips and tricks on how to shoot your speech from the comfort of your home.
• The best light source in a home is usually a window
• Place yourself looking directly toward the window, using its ambient light
• Try to avoid the sun directly hitting your face or squinting
• Light appearing from the side or behind won’t look as good
• Find a clean and attractive area for your background
• Something dignified & attractive is ideal
• Avoid anything too busy or too empty
• Avoid distracting things like clocks, posters with writing, etc.
• Decide whether to sit or stand
• Position the camera at eye level. You can use a tripod, ladder, tall dresser, boxes, books, etc
• Turn your camera so it shoots horizontally
• Camera should be a little more than an arm’s length away
• Keep yourself in the center of the frame
• Try not to leave too space above your head (a little space is ok!)
• The environment should be as silent as possible
• Turn off music or television
• Stop the heating or cooling unit
• Have children, family, or pets as far away as possible while recording
• Stay close to the camera - a little more than an arm’s length away. If you’re too far away, it’ll sound echoey.
• Write your speech well ahead of time
• Practice your speech so you’re comfortable with it
• Rewrite until you are happy with its content and style
• Feel free to print your speech or bullet points to reference it
• Consider wearing clothing that presents you professionally
• Straighten your posture
• Speak directly into the camera lens (not your own image)
• Ideally you don’t just read your speech, as you’ll make less eye contact
• If you printed your speech or notes, hold it or tape it just below the camera
• Speak loudly and confidently
• If you make a mistake, simply back up a little bit and start again
• We can try remove mistakes, but obviously fewer edits is better
• Communicate as if you are sharing your thoughts with real people
• Speak from the heart & let your passion shine through!
• Don’t forget to smile and have fun with it!
Good luck! We look forward to seeing your presentation!