FREE COVID-19 Testing Available at Harper
We have expanded testing hours in response to the statewide mandate requiring higher education students and employees to be fully vaccinated or take weekly COVID-19 tests.
Harper College now offers FREE on-campus COVID-19 testing to anyone in the community through the SHIELD Illinois program.
When and where?
Testing is offered three times a week in the lobby of the Performing Arts Center.
- Monday: Noon to 4 p.m.
- Wednesday: Noon to 4 p.m.
- Thursday: 9-11 a.m.
Harper’s agency code: df5brbrj
(see How do I make an appointment? below)
What test is being used?
Made possible through the SHIELD Illinois program, the test uses the University of Illinois saliva-based test. The SHIELD Illinois saliva test is a very sensitive PCR test. A polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test is one of the most reliable and detects genetic material from a specific organism, such as a virus.
Do I need an appointment?
Appointments are encouraged and will speed up the process, though walk-ins are welcome. Be sure not to eat for one hour prior to testing.
How do I make an appointment?
It's simple - you create an account with SHIELD Illinois and then pick a time.
Steps to create a SHIELD Illinois account:
- Go to portal.shieldillinois.com
- Enter Harper’s agency code: df5brbrj
- Fill in your information
- You will receive a Point and Click portal registration code that you will need to verify your account.
- Create a password
- Congratulations, your account has been created! This portal account is also where you will get the results of your test.
Scheduling an appointment:
Now that you have a SHIELD Illinois portal account, you can schedule an appointment to get tested.
- Within your SHIELD Illinois portal account, choose Schedule an Appointment
- Select 60067_Harper College as your location
- Search for a convenient appointment time
- Confirm your appointment
- You will receive an email confirmation with a scannable code. You will need this email on the day of your appointment.
On the day of your appointment:
- Bring a photo ID
- Be prepared to show your email confirmation, which includes your scannable code
- Do not eat, drink (including water), chew gum, smoke or use tobacco products for one hour before your appointment
- When you arrive at the site, wear a mask
Instructions for minors
- To make an appointment for a minor, the parent needs to create an account in the parent's name
- Once the account is created, the parent will add their minor child as a dependent
When do I get my results?
Results are available within 24 hours from the time your sample is received by the lab. To get your results, log in to your SHIELD portal account.
SHIELD Testing: How to provide a saliva sample
If you have any questions about creating an account, please contact SHIELD Illinois, 217.265.6059, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.