Harper College

Frequently Asked Questions

All students living in-district, regardless of status, qualify for in-district tuition. Students working in-district may also qualify for in-district rates through the Business EdVantage program.

Harper College does not collect any information related to our students’ status.

A change in status does not affect previously awarded scholarships.

Under the Keep Illinois Families Together Act, Harper College Police Department is prohibited from entering into or maintaining an agreement with ICE. In the event an outside law enforcement agency should come to campus, it would work with Harper Police directly.

DACA students are eligible to work on campus, but undocumented students with no DACA status are not eligible.

Student organizations are open to all enrolled students regardless of status or credit hours.

We encourage you to participate and join the FAUNDS student organization. To join our mailing list, visit harperfaunds.weebly.com

Undocumented/DACA students are not eligible for federal financial aid, however you can complete the Illinois Alternative Application. Harper College also offers a number of scholarships for undocumented/DACA students.

You should NOT use the ITIN number in any application related to FAFSA or the Illinois Alternative Application (RISE).

Yes. All students should get a Harper ID, which provides access to discounts, printing on campus and more.                      

Please note: This information is not meant to replace the advice and/or counsel of an immigration attorney. 

Given the current political landscape, we do not advise that undocumented students travel on international study abroad programs.

DACAmented students or students with Temporary Protected Status (TPS) may apply for advance parole in order to seek permission to study abroad. Students whose application for adjustment of status are pending may also apply for advance parole and travel overseas while their application is pending.

In order to apply for advance parole, students must already be approved for DACA/TPS. Approved reasons for travel include educational, humanitarian, and employment purposes. Students should know, however, that even with advance parole, a DACA/TPS parolee is still considered an applicant for admission to the U.S. and could still be subject to removal proceedings. Approved Harper College study abroad programs cannot guarantee a student re-entry into the United States. We strongly urge all students considering a study abroad program to consult with an immigration attorney prior to embarking on any international travel. For more information, see the NAFSA: DACA Resource Page.

No, your parents do not need to be a U.S. Citizen or resident for you to apply for FAFSA or the Illinois Alternative Application.

Yes. The only requirement to join our athletic teams is that you are attending as a full-time student (12 credit hours or more per semester).

If you are applying for an F1 Student Visa, you will need to work with our international advisor. For information contact us at isoinfo@harpercollege.edu

See your academic advisor. email us to speak with an advisor at undoc@harpercollege.edu

Student Government Association and Student Involvement have established FREE Legal Services focusing on Immigration Law with North Suburban Legal Aid Clinic. The North Suburban Legal Aid Clinic will be on campus once a month and offer workshops related to the undocumented community.



Last Updated: 12/14/23