Welcome to ADS! We are glad you made the decision to further your education at Harper College. To help ensure your success, we strongly encourage all students with disabilities to utilize access, accommodation, and support services available through Access and Disability Services.
The ADS Virtual Open House is now available!
Watch the ADS Open House 2020 on Livestream.com. Since the campus is closed to visitors due to the worldwide Covid-19 pandemic and we are not able to host our annual Student and Parent Info Night, we have created a virtual open house as an opportunity for new and prospective students, and their families, to learn more about what Access and Disability Services and Harper College has to offer you as you make your plans and reach for your life's goals.
Debido al virus COVID-19, este año no abra una presentación de padres en el colegio Harper College. Aunque no habrá una reunión en persona, si tendremos una presentación virtual. Eseperamos que este video sea informativo.
Getting Started for New Students:
- Apply to Harper online at https://student-self-service.harpercollege.edu/prod/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon found at www.harpercollege.edu. If you have questions about applying, placement testing, orientation, financial aid, etc., please contact The One Stop.
- Apply for ADS services by filling out the New Student Application. You will have an opportunity to upload your electronic documentation after you complete the New Student application. You can use an electronic copy of your IEP, 504 Plan, Summary of Performance, or other medical/psychological documentation that lists your diagnosis and demonstrates how your disability affects your learning, mobility, and/or communication.
- If you are unable to upload your electronic documentation, you may email the documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have a paper copy of your documentation, you may bring it to our office and we will scan and upload for you.
- After you have completed your New Student Application for ADS services, call 847.925.6266 voice or 224.836.5048 Video Phone for Deaf callers, to schedule your in-person intake interview.
- Attend intake interview. During your intake interview ADS staff will discuss accommodation eligibility and discuss your next steps.
- Keep up to date with your enrollment steps through your “MyHarper” Student Portal.
- Complete placement testing. All new degree-seeking students are required to demonstrate initial placement levels in English and Math upon entry to the College in order to register for their first semester. An ADS staff member will assist and discuss placement testing options with you during your intake interview.
- All degree-seeking students must attend orientation. An ADS staff member will assist with this process and connect you with the Center for New Students and Orientation (CNSO). ADS staff members will make referrals and work closely with CNSO in selecting courses that fit your interest and abilities.
- After you have completed orientation, please make sure to follow up with ADS staff. At your follow up meeting, ADS staff will review how to request accommodations using your AIM portal.
After your Intake Interview:
ADS staff are committed to your success. After the intake interview is complete and you have submitted documentation of your disability, an Accommodation Plan will be developed. The Accommodation Plan outlines your accommodations; you will have access to your Accommodation Plan anytime through your AIM student portal. Every semester, you will choose and submit your accommodations for each of your classes. That action generates an email to each of your instructors, detailing your approved accommodations for that semester.
ADS staff will also provide you with disability advising, academic support and guidance. Staff have expertise working with students who are experiencing stress or who are struggling academically. Should you encounter any difficulties, contact ADS for an appointment as early as possible to avoid impacting your course success.