Complaint or Commendation


Throughout the year, members of the Harper College Police Department handle a variety of calls and have numerous contacts with the public. In some of those instances, individuals may feel a member of the Harper College Police Department treated them unfairly or were treated unprofessionally. If you feel this occurred, you may contact the Harper College Police Department and ask to speak with the Deputy Chief of Police or the on-duty shift supervisor.

The supervisor will listen to your complaint and may attempt to resolve the complaint informally over the phone, or in person. We have found an explanation of the circumstances surrounding the call is enough to settle many situations. If the supervisor is unable to satisfy the caller or, at the recommendation of the supervisor, they may request you file a Formal Complaint.

A Formal Complaint is a written statement surrounding the facts of the incident, identifying any potential witnesses and is a sworn statement once filed and properly notarized. Under Illinois Law, a Formal Complaint must be supported by a Sworn Affidavit (50 ILCS 725/3.8(b)).

What happens when a complaint is filed?

Once a complaint is filed, it will be forwarded to the Deputy Chief of Police who will then assign it for investigation. The Deputy Chief of Police will generate a letter or email to you, indicating the investigator assigned to the investigation and an Internal Affairs report number. You will be kept informed of the status of your complaint and the eventual outcome.

If the complaint is found to be true (sustained), the department member may be disciplined at the discretion of the Chief of Police and Board of Police Commission, up to and including termination of employment.


Have you had an experience with a police officer that you believe deserves recognition?

The commendation form allows to formally or informally thank a member of the police department or have him or her recognized for great performance. Once the form is turned in to the department, formal requests will go to the Awards and Commendation Board, informal requests will be acted upon.


Both forms are listed below.

They will be sent directly to Harper College Police Department's Deputy Chief of Police Kurt Metzger for further review.



Both forms are made available to be filled out in person at:

Harper College Police Department
B Building
1200 W. Algonquin Road
Palatine, Illinois  60067


Report by Telephone by calling (847) 925-6330 and ask for the Deputy Chief of Police or the on-duty supervisor.

Last Updated: 9/1/23