Harper College

International Students

Students from other countries attending Harper College are termed "international" students, according to the following definition: "A person who is a citizen of a country other than the United States who has a visa for educational purposes (F-1) with an intent to return to his or her homeland upon completion of his or her educational program."

International students must carry a minimum of 12 credit hours during fall and spring semesters. 

International students are not considered residents of the College district for purposes of in-district tuition.

International students are required to have health insurance coverage and will be charged an individual health insurance premium each semester.

International students will be required to submit the following to the International Student Office at least eight weeks prior to the beginning of the semester in which they intend to begin their studies:

  1. A completed online Harper application with a non-refundable $25 application fee.
  2. A copy of the secondary school diploma or certificate of general education. If these documents are not in English, they must be accompanied by English translations.
  3. Proof of English proficiency by one of the following exams:  Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) iBT score report. To be considered for admission to college classes, students must receive a minimum score of 79 on the iBT. Or a score report of the TOEFL Essentials with a minimum of 9.0. Or a score report of the IELTS with a minimum score of 6.5. Or a score report of the Duolingo with a minimum score of 115. Or a score report of LanguageCert with a minimum of C1 or C2. To be admitted to the ESL program, students must submit a minimum score of 28 on the TOEFL iBT or 3.0 on the TOEFL Essentials or 3.5 on the IELTS or 70 on Duolingo or A2 on LanguageCert.
  4. A bank certificate or letter verifying sufficient funds for tuition and living expenses for one academic year.
  5. Copy of the passport identification page (printed Form I-94, if already in the United States).
  6. Copy of Form I-20 if student is transferring from another U.S. college or university.

This information is subject to change by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Please consult www.harpercollege.edu/iso for updates.

Last Updated: 4/3/24