Public Information Policy
Harper College Educational Foundation (HCEF) is committed to operating in an environment
of openness and accountability. This policy sets out the practices of the Foundation
regarding disclosure and procedure for requesting of information. Furthermore, the
policy describes the extent and nature of those materials which will be made available
to the public. As an organization devoted to serving the fundraising needs of a public
community college, the Foundation believes that information held by it should be as
open to public inspection as possible, while still respecting the privacy rights of
donors, prospective donors and employees, and without compromising the Foundation’s
status as a separate private nonprofit organization and its ability to secure and
manage donations in support of Harper College.
- THE POLICY
This policy reflects the Foundation’s commitment to approaching disclosure of information
in an open and fair manner. Information from the Foundation is available upon request
by contacting the Foundation at 847-925-6490 or by email at Foundation@harpercollege.edu.
- LEGALLY REQUIRED INFORMATION AVAILABLE
- Foundation’s annual information return (IRS Form 990) – up to three years
- Foundations tax-exempt status determination letter
- Foundation’s articles of incorporations
- VOLUNTARILY DISCLOSE
- The Foundation’s By-laws
- Organizational chart
- Information regarding Foundation employment
- Financial information
- Audited Financial Statements
- Foundation’s annual report information
- Policies and Procedures, including
- Gift Acceptance Policy
- Investment Policy
- Disbursement Guidelines for scholarships
- Donor Bill of Rights
- Guidelines for endowed and current use scholarships
- Statement of ethics (CASE)
- Contracts between Harper College and Harper College Educational Foundation
- Payments between the Foundation and the College
- Gift Clubs and recognition procedures
- CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
Confidential information which is not available for public inspection includes the following:
- Records received from a donor or prospective donor regarding such donor’s prospective
gift or pledge.
- Portions of records that discloses a donor or prospective donor’s personal, financial,
estate planning or gift planning manners.
- Individual employee information other than name, title and salary.
- Records containing information about a donor or a prospective donor in regards to
the appropriateness of solicitation and dollar amount of the gift or pledge.
- Portions of records that identify a prospective donor and that provide information
on the appropriateness of the solicitation, the form of the gift or dollar amount
requested by the solicitor and the name of the solicitor.
- Information relating to fundraising plans and strategies.
- Individual student information.
- Information relating to trusts and annuities administered by the Foundation.
- Other information – to the extent the Foundation received requests for information
not accounted for in this Policy, the Foundation will evaluate such requests within
a reasonable time and determine whether the information is deemed confidential.
- REPRODUCTION AND ADDITIONAL FEES
If an information request requires the retrieval and reproduction of documents. A
reasonable per page reproduction fee applies, not to exceed the actual cost to the
foundation of satisfying the request. All fees shall be paid by the requesting party
to the foundation prior to receipt of requested information.
Approved September 15, 2015
Public Information Policy PDF