Phi Theta Kappa
Phi Theta Kappa is the official Honors Society for two-year colleges. Students are automatically invited to join Phi Theta Kappa during the semester after they have completed 12 credit hours at Harper with a 3.5 GPA or higher. Please note that there is a one-time fee for joining. Phi Theta Kappa is separate from the Honors Program, though many students are members of both.
Your participation with this organization is notated on your college transcripts, which distinguishes students while applying at a four-year institution.
Some of the benefits of becoming a Phi Theta Kappa member include:
- Access to several transfer scholarship opportunities
- Become eligible for the Harper College Honors Program
- Participate in chapter projects and service activities
- Travel to regional and national meetings
- Obtain professional and educational skills
- Build friendships and connections across campus and the nation
Members are acknowledged as high academic scholars and distinguished as the best of the best among peers.
- Members are recognized during the PTK Induction Ceremony
- Each member is gifted with a complimentary Phi Theta Kappa graduation stole from the Phi Phi Chapter
- Members receive a Golden Key Membership Pin and Certificate from the Phi Theta Kappa Headquarters
How to become a member
Visit https://join.ptk.org/ and enter in your Harper College email address. Pay a one-time membership fee and become a lifelong member. Please do NOT purchase a stole. The Chapter gifts new members with a complimentary stole.
The one-time membership fee is $80, of which $65 goes to national and regional fees; $15 is for Harper College’s local chapter of Phi Phi to help fund meetings, travel to regional events, cultural and service outings, scholarships, national conferences and the induction ceremony.
Induction Ceremony FAQs
The Phi Theta Kappa Induction is a ceremony where new members are recognized for their great academic achievements.
A formal paper invitation to accept your membership will be sent to eligible students approximately two weeks after the start of each semester. The invitation will be mailed to the address on file with the Registrar's Office.
Only students who accept membership and pay the one-time fee, will receive an evite to attend the Induction Ceremony and be formally inducted.
Learn more about the PTK Induction Ceremony
Please do not purchase a stole. New members are gifted a stole from the Chapter. New members have the opportunity to receive their stole during the semester. New members will receive an email to their Harper email address with more information about stole distribution.
Please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org