Welcome to Harper College ESL
To start taking English courses follow these steps.
1. First, please complete a Harper College Application. For application questions, email email@example.com
- Select Credit Student when applying. ESL classes are credit classes.
- Pay a $25 application fee.
- Write down your Harper I.D. number.
- Save your username and password.
- Allow two business days for processing.
2. Then schedule your testing appointment on the Harper College student portal under Student Success -> ESL Testing. All testing now is being done ONLINE.
- Take the ESL test if you are planning to get a degree or certificate from Harper, transferring to a U.S. university, using financial aid, or wanting classes to prepare for college work (including our Intensive English Program).
- Take the ESL directed self placement survey if you are only interested in the English Series for Professionals, general classes to improve your English, or you would like to teach English as a Second Language. You will do all below except for the reading and writing tests. Complete the survey here.
3. On the day of your appointment,
- you should arrive early to check in. (using the ONLINE TESTING instructions)
- bring a photo I.D.
- you will take 2 tests: Writing and Reading. (ESL Testing only/ self placement students will only have an interview)
- you will meet with an advisor or teacher for a short interview and then select your classes.
- you will be able to register and pay for classes.
Testing for the Fall semester (August-December) is offered July to Mid-October.
Testing for the Spring semester (January-May) is offered Mid-November to Mid-March
Testing for the Summer semester (May/June-July) is offered Mid-April to May