Goals of the Virtual Mentoring Program
- To provide the students and recent alumni access to and an opportunity to connect with alumni who have achieved considerable success in their chosen industry or field.
- To provide the students and recent alumni with real life career modeling and advice.
- To provide the mentee with a professional networking opportunity.
- To expose the mentee to leadership.
What Does a Mentee Do?
- Seek guidance, support and encouragement to assist with realizing goals.
- Seek knowledge of their industry.
- Inquire about insights and lessons learned from the mentor’s professional experience.
- Maintain the confidentiality of the mentor and respect the mentoring relationship.
- Be open and honest.
What Does a Mentee Not Do?
- Ask the mentor to be a problem solver for the mentee.
- Ask personal questions.
What are the expectations of Mentees?
- Connect using the agreed upon format.
- Participate as a partner in the mentoring process.
- Have realistic expectations.
- Keep information confidential.
- Be receptive to feedback.
- Keep commitments and appointments.
Sample questions to ask Mentors:
- How did you get into your field/industry?
- What has surprised you about your career?
- What are the first steps you recommend for getting my “foot in the door”?
- What do you feel are the top three traits needed to succeed in your industry?
- What do you know now that you wish you would have known when starting your career?
- Ask industry specific questions, seek advice and guidance, support and encouragement.
Questions? Call Harper College Alumni Program at 847.925.6701 or email@example.com.