Office of Diversity and Inclusion Social Justice Certificate
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2019–2020 COHORT HAVE NOW CLOSED
The Office of Diversity and Inclusion in collaboration with the Office of International
Education coordinates a program for full-time faculty and staff called the Social
Justice Leadership Certificate.
Social Justice Leadership Cohort 2019-2020 at National Conference on Race and Ethnicity – Portland, OR Left to right: Samantha Schenk (Institutional Research), Pearl Ratunil (Special Assistant to the President for Diversity and Inclusion), Andrew Anastasia (English), Tara Gary (Liberal Arts), Aaron Posey (Advising), Nellie Khalil (Biology). Not pictured: Michael Magee (Advising)
Photograph left to right: Carolann Dunn, Pearl Ratunil, Monica Shirley (Diverse Faculty Fellow), RaeghanGraessle, Deena Ata, Joe Scrima, Esmeralda Guerrero-Lopez, Michael Bentley
What is Social Justice?
Social justice focuses on the process and goals of full and equal participation of all individuals in a democratic society. For more information, see Dr. Durene Wheeler's webinar hosted by the Academy for Teaching Excellence: Understanding the Role of Social Justice in Our Classrooms.
- To build skills and capacities in faculty and staff to lead and support initiatives related to diversity and inclusion.
- To orient the community towards an awareness of social justice in all areas of the college.
- To implement a social justice lens in supporting student success and employee engagement.
- To build community and support for employees advancing diversity and inclusion at Harper.
- Open to all full-time faculty and staff.
- Requires an application due December 3, 2018 at 4:30 p.m.. Space is limited.
- The commitment will be from May 2019 to the end of August 2020.
- This program will provide participants with the following opportunities:
- Attendance at National Conference on Race and Ethnicity, May 28 - June 1, 2019, with costs covered by the college.
- Monthly meetings of approximately 3 hours for workshops, presentations, and leadership training from June 2019 through August 2020. Meetings will be Friday afternoons from 1:00–4:00pm on the following dates:
- April 26, 2019
- June 21, 2019
- September 20, 2019
- October 18, 2019
- November 22, 2019
- February 14, 2020
- March 13, 2020
- April 17, 2020
- April 30, 2020
- Develop a project that will positively impact the strategic directions, especially Inclusion.
Questions? Contact Pearl Ratunil, Special Assistant to the President for Diversity and Inclusion, email@example.com, ext. 6590 or Richard Johnson, Director, Office of International Education, firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 6429.