The Social Justice Leadership Certificate
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2019–2020 COHORT HAVE NOW CLOSED
The Office of Diversity and Inclusion in collaboration with the Office of International
Education coordinates a program for full-time faculty and staff called the Social
Justice Leadership Certificate.
Photograph left to right: Carolann Dunn, Pearl Ratunil, Monica Shirley (Diverse Faculty Fellow), RaeghanGraessle, Deena Ata, Joe Scrima, Esmeralda Guerrero-Lopez, Michael Bentley
What is Social Justice?
Social justice focuses on the process and goals of full and equal participation of all individuals in a democratic society. For more information, see Dr. Durene Wheeler's webinar hosted by the Academy for Teaching Excellence: Understanding the Role of Social Justice in Our Classrooms.
- To build skills and capacities in faculty and staff to lead and support initiatives related to diversity and inclusion.
- To orient the community towards an awareness of social justice in all areas of the college.
- To implement a social justice lens in supporting student success and employee engagement.
- To build community and support for employees advancing diversity and inclusion at Harper.
- Open to all full-time faculty and staff.
- Requires an application due December 3, 2018 at 4:30 p.m.. Space is limited.
- The commitment will be from May 2019 to the end of August 2020.
- This program will provide participants with the following opportunities:
- Attendance at National Conference on Race and Ethnicity, May 28 - June 1, 2019, with costs covered by the college.
- Monthly meetings of approximately 3 hours for workshops, presentations, and leadership training from June 2019 through August 2020. Meetings will be Friday afternoons from 1:00–4:00pm on the following dates:
- April 26, 2019
- June 21, 2019
- September 20, 2019
- October 18, 2019
- November 22, 2019
- February 14, 2020
- March 13, 2020
- April 17, 2020
- April 30, 2020
- Develop a project that will positively impact the strategic directions, especially Inclusion.
Questions? Contact Pearl Ratunil, Special Assistant to the President for Diversity and Inclusion, email@example.com, ext. 6590 or Richard Johnson, Director, Office of International Education, firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 6429.