Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Social Justice Certificate
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2020-2021 is now open!
The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in collaboration with the Office of
International Education coordinates a program for full-time faculty and staff called
the Social Justice Leadership Certificate.
Social Justice Leadership Cohort 2019-2020 at National Conference on Race and Ethnicity – Portland, OR Left to right: Samantha Schenk (Institutional Research), Pearl Ratunil (Special Assistant to the President for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion), Andrew Anastasia (English), Tara Gary (Liberal Arts), Aaron Posey (Advising), Nellie Khalil (Biology). Not pictured: Michael Magee (Advising)
Photograph left to right: Carolann Dunn, Pearl Ratunil, Monica Shirley (Diverse Faculty Fellow), RaeghanGraessle, Deena Ata, Joe Scrima, Esmeralda Guerrero-Lopez, Michael Bentley
What is Social Justice?
Social justice focuses on the process and goals of full and equal participation of all individuals in a democratic society. For more information, see Dr. Durene Wheeler's webinar hosted by the Academy for Teaching Excellence: Understanding the Role of Social Justice in Our Classrooms.
- To build skills and capacities in faculty and staff to lead and support initiatives related to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- To orient the community towards an awareness of social justice in all areas of the college.
- To implement a social justice lens in supporting student success and employee engagement.
- To build community and support for employees advancing diversity and inclusion at Harper.
Application Process and Timeline:
- Application opens February 24-March 6, 2020..
- Applicants must apply by March 6, 2020. Space is limited.
- Now open to full-time, part-time and adjunct employees.
- In person interviews are required for finalist during the week of March 16-20, 2020.
- Notification will be sent out the week of March 23, 2020.
- Newly selected cohort members must attend the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Celebration held on April 29, 2020 from 3-4:30pm.
The program is intended to start with an intentional book read during the summer, which will then escalate into a full day retreat. The program will then transform to monthly meetings with various optional opportunities to connect with other social justice programs. Each participant will develop a project that positively impacts the strategic directions of diversity, equity and inclusion at Harper College. Overall, the commitment will be from May 2020- May 2021
- This program will provide participants with the following opportunities:
- Summer read experience (book provided)
- Retreat, September 11, 2020
- Monthly meetings of approximately 3 hours for workshops, presentations from October
2020- May 2021. Meetings will be Friday afternoons from 1:00–4:00pm on the following
- October 9, 2020
- November 13, 2020
- December 11, 2020
- February 12, 2021
- March 5, 2021
- April 9, 2021
- Attend the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Celebration held April 29, 2021 from 3-4:30pm
Questions? Contact Claudia Mercado, Interim Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion,, email@example.com, ext. 6260 or Richard Johnson, Director, Office of International Education, firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 6429.