Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Social Justice Certificate
Application for the 2021–2022 is now open!
The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in collaboration with the Office of
International Education coordinates a program for full-time faculty and staff called
the Social Justice Leadership Certificate.
Social Justice Leadership Cohort 2019-2020 at National Conference on Race and Ethnicity
— Portland, OR
Left to right: Samantha Schenk (Institutional Research), Pearl Ratunil (Special Assistant to the President for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion), Andrew Anastasia (English), Tara Gary (Liberal Arts), Aaron Posey (Advising), Nellie Khalil (Biology). Not pictured: Michael Magee (Advising)
Photograph left to right: Carolann Dunn, Pearl Ratunil, Monica Shirley (Diverse Faculty Fellow), Raeghan Graessle, Deena Ata, Joe Scrima, Esmeralda Guerrero-Lopez, Michael Bentley
What is Social Justice?
Social justice focuses on the process and goals of full and equal participation of all individuals in a democratic society. For more information, see Dr. Durene Wheeler's webinar hosted by the Academy for Teaching Excellence: Understanding the Role of Social Justice in Our Classrooms.
- To build skills and capacities in faculty and staff to lead and support initiatives related to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- To orient the community towards an awareness of social justice in all areas of the college.
- To implement a social justice lens in supporting student success and employee engagement.
- To build community and support for employees advancing diversity and inclusion at Harper.
Application Process and Timeline
- Applications open February 15 thru March 19, 2021.
- Applicants must apply by March 19, 2021. Space is limited.
- Now open to full-time, part-time and adjunct employees.
- In person interviews are required for finalist during the week of March 15–19, 2021.
- Notification will be sent out the week of March 22, 2021.
- Newly selected cohort members must attend the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Celebration held on April 21, 2021 from 1–3 p.m.
The program is intended to start with an intentional book read during the summer, which will then escalate into a full-day retreat. The program will then transform to monthly meetings with various optional opportunities to connect with other social justice programs. Each participant will develop a project that positively impacts the strategic directions of diversity, equity and inclusion at Harper College. Overall, the commitment will be from May 2021 thru April 2022.
This program will provide participants with the following opportunities:
- Summer Experience (4 meetings including a shared book read. Dates and book TBA)
- September 10, 2021: All-day Retreat
- Monthly meetings of approximately 3 hours for workshops, presentations from October
2021 thru April 2022. Meetings will be Friday afternoons from 1–4 p.m on the following
- October 8, 2021
- November 12, 2021
- December 10, 2021
- February 11, 2022
- March 4, 2022
- April 8, 2022
- Attend the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Celebration held in April 2022.
Questions? Contact Claudia Mercado, Interim Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, email@example.com, ext. 6260 or Richard Johnson, Director, Office of International Education, firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 6429.