Office of Diversity and Inclusion Social Justice Certificate
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2020-2021 is now open!
The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in collaboration with the Office of
International Education coordinates a program for full-time faculty and staff called
the Social Justice Leadership Certificate.
Social Justice Leadership Cohort 2019-2020 at National Conference on Race and Ethnicity – Portland, OR Left to right: Samantha Schenk (Institutional Research), Pearl Ratunil (Special Assistant to the President for Diversity and Inclusion), Andrew Anastasia (English), Tara Gary (Liberal Arts), Aaron Posey (Advising), Nellie Khalil (Biology). Not pictured: Michael Magee (Advising)
Photograph left to right: Carolann Dunn, Pearl Ratunil, Monica Shirley (Diverse Faculty Fellow), RaeghanGraessle, Deena Ata, Joe Scrima, Esmeralda Guerrero-Lopez, Michael Bentley
What is Social Justice?
Social justice focuses on the process and goals of full and equal participation of all individuals in a democratic society. For more information, see Dr. Durene Wheeler's webinar hosted by the Academy for Teaching Excellence: Understanding the Role of Social Justice in Our Classrooms.
- To build skills and capacities in faculty and staff to lead and support initiatives related to diversity and inclusion.
- To orient the community towards an awareness of social justice in all areas of the college.
- To implement a social justice lens in supporting student success and employee engagement.
- To build community and support for employees advancing diversity and inclusion at Harper.
Application Process and Timeline:
- Application opens February 24-March 6, 2020..
- Applicants must apply by March 6, 2020. Space is limited.
- Now open to full-time, part-time and adjunct employees.
- In person interviews are required for finalist during the week of March 16-20, 2020.
- Notification will be sent out the week of March 23, 2020.
- Newly selected cohort members must attend the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Celebration held on April 29, 2020 from 3-4:30pm.
The program is intended to start with an intentional book read during the summer, which will then escalate into a full day retreat. The program will then transform to monthly meetings with various optional opportunities to connect with other social justice programs. Each participant will develop a project that positively impacts the strategic directions of diversity, equity and inclusion at Harper College. Overall, the commitment will be from May 2020- May 2021
- This program will provide participants with the following opportunities:
- Summer read experience (book provided)
- Retreat, September 11, 2020
- Monthly meetings of approximately 3 hours for workshops, presentations from October
2020- May 2021. Meetings will be Friday afternoons from 1:00–4:00pm on the following
- October 9, 2020
- November 13, 2020
- December 11, 2020
- February 12, 2021
- March 5, 2021
- April 9, 2021
- Attend the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Celebration held April 29, 2021 from 3-4:30pm
Questions? Contact Claudia Mercado, Interim Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion,, email@example.com, ext. 6260 or Richard Johnson, Director, Office of International Education, firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 6429.