NLN Entrance Exam
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING NLN SCORE REPORTS: Test-takers that have not had their scores received by Harper College, please complete this form. After completing the form, score reports can take up to 2 business days to be received by Harper.
The NLN Entrance Exam is available for Harper College students only. The NLN exam is used for entrance in the Nursing (RN), Practical Nursing Certificate, Dental Hygiene, Diagnostic Cardiac Sonography, Diagnostic Medical Sonography, and Radiologic Technology programs. It is the student's responsibility to adhere to the NLN practices which may change from year to year.
The NLN exam is a computer-based exam that contains three sections: verbal ability, mathematics and science. The maximum standard test** time allowed for the entire test is 120 minutes/two hours. Each section of the test has a standard test** time of 40 minutes per section.
- The verbal ability section assesses word knowledge, reading comprehension, and critical thinking.
- The math section measures mathematical problem solving which will include integers, conversions, fractions, decimals, algebra and geometry.
- The science section tests knowledge in general biology, human anatomy and physiology, chemistry and physics.
**For students that receive test accommodations such as extended time on a test, please refer to the "NLN Testing with Accommodations" section for below.
NLN Pre-Entrance Exam Preparation Course
This course offered through Harper College's Continuing Education program will prepare you for the NLN pre-entrance exam. For scheduling information and registration, click here.
NLN also offers online-only test prep modules available for purchase within the NLN Registration Portal (this is the same portal you would use to register and schedule for the NLN exam). There are three study modules to choose from that are dedicated to each section on the NLN-PAX exam; PAX Prep Math Exam, PAX Prep Science Exam & PAX Prep Verbal Exam. Each prep module is purchased individually, online for $32 each.
As Harper College continues to operate in a remote learning environment, NLN testing has also gone remote. Remote testing means testing at a distance or "testing from home."
When testing from home, test-takers will be remotely monitored through their webcam by the proctoring service, Proctorio. Test-takers will be monitored during the exam to make sure that the exam is being taken in a secure fashion. Below are the following requirements needed to test remotely.
- Desktop computer, laptop computer or Chromebook (tablets and smart phones are NOT compatible)
- Proctorio's HyFlex system requirements can be viewed here
- Webcam (internal or external webcams are both acceptable)
- Stable internet connection
- A private, uninterrupted testing space that will be shown to the proctor on exam day
Harper College continues to operate in a remote learning environment in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and as a result, the Testing Center has shifted their testing services to a remote environment as well. That means on-site/in-person NLN testing has been paused for the foreseeable future.
Exam registration and payment occurs directly through the NLN website. All users, especially new users are STRONGLY RECOMMENDED to review the comprehensive, step-by-step Registration Guide. In this guide, you will walk through the entire NLN testing process from creating a new account, all the way to test day and every step in-between.
Registration Site: www.nlntest.org
Name of Exam: H-PAX_1 This exam is appropriate for admission into every Limited Enrollment program.
Registration Note: It is VERY IMPORTANT that you select Harper College (school code 391623) as the receiving institution. If you do not, Harper College will not receive your scores.
"Scheduling"/Taking the Test: With the HyFlex Proctorio proctoring service, after purchasing the exam, testing occurs on-demand literally whenever you are ready, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You will not be formally scheduling to take the exam. When you buy the exam, make sure to choose Proctorio/HyFlex as a proctor option. After hitting "Apply", choose H-PAX_1 -> Pre-Admission Exam for HyFlex. The example is in the image below.
Approved Testing Aides: A digital, basic calculator is built-in to the NLN test software along with a digital white board that functions as "scratch paper" during the exam. You will not be allowed to utilize any other resources during the exam.
Retaking the Test: You are allowed to retake the NLN as many times as you'd but you must wait at least 24 hour between attempts.
Test-takers seeking test accommodations must have their test accommodations plan approved by the Harper College Access & Disability Services office. Here’s the step-by-step process that’s needed in order to test with accommodations:
- Create an NLN account and register/pay for the H-PAX_1 exam using the information found above in "NLN Registration and Payment" section.
- Schedule a time to review your test accommodations plan with the Access & Disability Services office. Email email@example.com to schedule. PLEASE NOTE – the review of your accommodation plan must occur at least 5 BUSINESS DAYS prior to when you plan to take the test.
- NLN will send you an email confirmation that your approved accommodations have been added to the exam you purchased, and that you are now cleared to test with those accommodations.
If Harper College hasn't received your NLN scores, it's likely that Harper was not indicated as the receiving institution.
Complete the following online form to have your scores sent to Harper.
For technical assistance or for other inquiries such as rescheduling your exam, email firstname.lastname@example.org