Harper College

After an Incident

If you have experienced any act of sexual misconduct, our first concern is for your safety and well-being. If you experienced a crime of sexual violence, please review your rights and options. Please consider the following:

  • Get to a safe place where you feel as physically and emotionally safe as possible.
  • If you are not sure what to do or where to start, call the 24-hour confidential Northwest CASA hotline at 888-802-8890.
  • Seek medical attention for any physical injuries, potential pregnancy, or potential sexually transmitted diseases. You can visit the NCH Outpatient Care Center on campus, a local emergency room, or seek other off-campus medical assistance. The community resources in this Guide can assist you with finding medical care and possible financial assistance.
  • If you have experienced behavior that may also be a violation of law, it is important that you consider preserving any evidence, even if you are not sure yet if want to file a formal complaint. This can help you later to prove that a criminal offense occurred, and can also help you in obtaining a civil protection order. This kind of exam can be done at a hospital and involves collecting evidence and photographs.  As difficult as it may feel at the time, it is most helpful if you can get evidence collected quickly – before you eat, drink, shower, use the bathroom, etc.  The locations closest to the main Harper campus where you can obtain an exam like this are at the Northwest Community Hospital, St. Alexian Medical Center, or any hospital emergency room. If you need assistance to get to one of these centers, contact Northwest CASA at 888-802-8890.
  • If the College perceives there is an on-going threat to the campus community, a timely warning may be issued. In such a case, your name will be withheld as confidential from such a communication.
  • If you would like to learn about your options for, and receive assistance in, changing academic, living, transportation, or work situations, contact one of the Title IX Coordinators. Examples of the kinds of things that can be done include, but are not limited to: changing to a different class section, completing a course via independent study, receiving escort service  to your class or vehicle while on campus, and adjusting your work schedule. You can also learn about how to apply for a medical withdrawal, get questions answered about financial aid, and learn how to request protective measures on campus.

If a friend has experienced sexual assault or other sexual violence, keep these tips in mind:

  • Listen. Be there. Do not be judgmental.
  • Be patient. It will take some time for your friend to deal with what happened.
  • Help empower your friend. Crimes of sexual violence (including dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking) take away a person’s power. It is important not to pressure your friend to do something he or see isn’t ready to do yet.
  • Encourage your friend to report the crime to law enforcement. If there are questions about the process, you or your friend can call a hotline or get assistance from another resource.
  • If your friend is interested and willing to get medical attention or report to the police, offer to accompany him/her or find safe transportation.
  • Get help for yourself. You can speak with a confidential counselor (through resources such as Northwest CASA) and not share your friend’s name if you need help to be a support.

(Source: Adopted from RAINN: Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network, https://www.rainn.org)  

After an Incident

Last Updated: 12/14/23