William Rainey Harper College is committed to maintaining a safe and healthy educational and employment environment that is free from discrimination, harassment and misconduct on the basis of sex, which includes sexual orientation and gender-related identity and expression. It is the policy of the College that no employee, student or other members of the College community shall be subject to sexual discrimination, harassment or misconduct, and any such sexual discrimination, harassment or misconduct is strictly prohibited.
This Policy applies to students, employees, appointees, or third-parties, whenever the misconduct occurs:
A. On College property; or
B. Off College property if:
- The conduct was in connection with a College or College recognized program or activity; or
- The conduct may have the effect of creating a hostile environment for a member of the College community.
The College designates one or more Title IX Coordinator(s) to ensure adherence to the policy and promote a respectful College environment free of sexual discrimination, harassment and misconduct.
Any claim of sexual discrimination, harassment, and/or misconduct may be confidentially reported to one of the College’s designated Title IX Coordinators, or, in the case of an employee, his or her supervisor. The contact information for the College’s designated Title IX Coordinators is listed on the College’s website, under the page titled “Title IX/Sexual Misconduct”. Claims of sexual discrimination, harassment, and/or misconduct may also be made by e-mailing the designated Title IX Coordinators at titleIX@harpercollege.edu. In addition, individuals covered by this policy have a right to file claims of sexual discrimination and harassment with the Illinois Department of Human Rights.
Any form of retaliation, including intimidation, threats, harassment and other adverse action taken or threatened against any complainant or person reporting or filing a complaint alleging sexual discrimination, harassment or misconduct or any person cooperating in the investigation of such allegations (including testifying, assisting or participating in any manner in an investigation) is strictly prohibited. Whistleblower protections are also be available under the State Officials and Employees Ethics Act, the Whistleblower Act, and/or the Illinois Human Rights Act.
The College (under the oversight of the Title IX Coordinator(s)) will maintain and publish procedures implementing this policy on the College's publicly available Title IX/Sexual Misconduct website, as well as in other formats useful to a variety of College audiences. These sources contain information that includes but is not limited to:
- Definitions of prohibited conduct;
- Responsibilities of and contact information for the College's Title IX Coordinator(s);
- Options for assistance following an incident of sexual discrimination, harassment and/or misconduct;
- Procedures for reporting and confidentially disclosing sexual discrimination, harassment and/or misconduct;
- Complaint investigation, resolution, and appeal procedures;
- Prevention and education programming provided to College students;
- Training and education provided to employees, including the Title IX Coordinator(s), Department of Human Resources, College Police, victim advocates, and anyone involved in responding to, investigating or adjudicating sexual discrimination, harassment and misconduct incidents; and
- Any other relevant information as required by federal and state law.
Comprehensive information about the College's disciplinary procedures can be found in the Student Code of Conduct and in the Human Resources Procedures, both of which can be found online.
Violation of this policy or knowingly making a false report may result in disciplinary action.
Additional information can be found at the following:
There may also be behaviors (such as an isolated inappropriate comment) that are offensive or cause discomfort but do not constitute a policy violation or warrant disciplinary action by the College; In these situations, the College can still provide supportive resources and avenues for feedback and education.