Special Education

Special Education

Because not all students learn the same way, special education teachers are pivotal in matching instructional methods to a student's particular needs. Special education teachers learn to work with students with disabilities and other special needs to help maximize their potential and give them the best opportunities for success in school and life.

By completing an associate’s degree at Harper, you could be one step closer to obtaining a special education teaching license. Courses cover such topics as social and behavioral sciences, educational technology, psychology, and more. Observing and speaking with special education instructors in their classrooms as part of the required clinical will give you first-hand experience with students.

AA degree/transfer option

The Associate in Arts degree is designed for students who intend to transfer to a four-year university to earn a bachelor's degree.


Next steps

For more information about starting your college education at Harper, please contact Admissions Outreach at 847.925.6700 or fill out our Request information form.