Placement Exam Instructions
Step 1: Login to the Exam (French, German, Spanish only. Other languages- Skip to Step 3.)
- Access the WebCAPE Placement Exam
- Enter password: WRHCLangs
- Click "Login."
- Choose your testing language from the drop-down menu.
- Select "Begin."
- Enter your first and last name as it appears on Harper records.
- The ID number is your Harper student ID number (this is a 9-digit number that begins with H and ends in a number).
- Enter the email address you check regularly. This is the email the department will use to contact you about an interview.
- Please fill out all of the information on the registration page about your previous language experience.
- You will be given a practice test question so you can see how the test works. Complete the practice question and begin your exam.
Step 2: Take the Online Exam (French, German, Spanish only)
- The placement exams are “adaptive,” meaning that they adapt automatically to your skill level.
- Answer each question to the best of your ability.
- Don't use websites, dictionaries, translators, or other outside sources. The purpose of the test is to place you accurately in language classes. If outside sources are used, your placement will be incorrect.
Step 3: Complete a Brief Interview (all languages)
- Your score is displayed on the screen at the end of the exam. Record it for your reference.
- No other preparation is necessary for the oral interview.
- Spanish and French: Contact Prof. Linda Schumacher at email@example.com to schedule a brief phone or in-person interview.
- German: Contact Prof. Kim Jaeger at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a brief phone or in-person interview.
- Chinese: Contact Prof. Na Li at email@example.com to schedule a brief phone or in-person interview.
- Japanese: Contact Prof. Setsuko Hanaoka at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a brief phone or in-person interview.
- American Sign Language: See our ASL Placement website for information.
- You will be given a placement recommendation by the professor at the end of your interview.
Step 4: Register for Class
- After your oral interview, allow 1-2 business days for the department to enter an override into the registration system.
- Log in to the MyHarper Student Portal
- Click on "Registration and Records" then "Add/Drop a Course" to register for the recommended course.
- Questions about registration? Please contact Eric Bohman, Placement and Testing Coordinator: email@example.com or 847.925.6750.