Placement Exam Instructions
Step 1: Login to the Exam (French, German, Spanish only. Other languages- Skip to Step 3.)
- Access the WebCAPE Placement Exam
- Create your account using your Harper ID number. You can receive a Harper ID number by applying to Harper College. Follow this link to apply.
- After you login, select the language you would like to take.
- Be sure to allow for 15 to 30 minutes for the test and a stable internet connection.
- Complete the pre-test survey followed by the test.
- Your results will appear at the end of the test. Make a note of your results.
Step 2: Take the Online Exam (French, German, Spanish only)
- The placement exams are “adaptive,” meaning that they adapt automatically to your skill level.
- Answer each question to the best of your ability.
- Don't use websites, dictionaries, translators, or other outside sources. The purpose of the test is to place you accurately in language classes. If outside sources are used, your placement will be incorrect.
Step 3: Complete a Brief Interview (all languages)
- Your score is displayed on the screen at the end of the exam. Record it for your reference.
- No other preparation is necessary for the oral interview.
- Spanish and French: Contact Prof. Linda Schumacher at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a brief phone or online interview.
- German: Contact Prof. Kim Jaeger at email@example.com to schedule a brief phone or online interview.
- Chinese: Contact Prof. Na Li at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a brief phone or online interview.
- Japanese: Contact Prof. Setsuko Hanaoka at email@example.com to schedule a brief phone or online interview.
- American Sign Language: See our ASL Placement website for information.
- You will be given a placement recommendation by the professor at the end of your interview.
Step 4: Register for Class
- After your oral interview, allow 1-2 business days for the department to enter an override into the registration system.
- Log in to the MyHarper Student Portal
- Click on "Registration and Records" then "Add/Drop a Course" to register for the recommended course.
- Questions about registration? Please contact Eric Bohman, Placement and Testing Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org or 847.925.6750.