Placement Testing for World Languages
What is a placement exam?
It is a free tool to determine which language course suits you best if you already have some experience with the language. The exam is for placement purposes only and will not appear on your transcript.
Do I need to take a placement exam?
I want to study French, German or Spanish…
- If you wish to study French, German or Spanish, and you do not have experience with that language, no, you do not need to test. You should register for a 101 level course.
- If you are a current Harper student with experience in French, German or Spanish and wish to enroll in a course in that language at Harper for the first time, yes, you need to take the placement exam. See the Placement Instructions.
I want to study Japanese…
- Japanese: Contact Liberal Arts Placement and Testing Coordinator Eric Bohman at email@example.com to arrange a phone or online interview.
I want to study American Sign Language...
- See our ASL Placement website for information.
I use the language at home…
- For students who grew up in the U.S. and speak Spanish at home, you may be eligible to take Spanish courses at Harper. For students who grew up in the U.S. and speak French at home, please contact Prof. Linda Schumacher at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your language background.
- For students who grew up in the U.S. and speak German at home, contact Prof. Kim Jaeger at email@example.com before registering for language courses.
When and where do I take the exam?
Take the first part of the exam online at your convenience using any computer with internet access. Do a brief online or phone interview with a professor afterward. Both the online and oral portions of the placement exam will determine the final placement. Follow the Placement Instructions.
How do I prepare for the exam?
There is no preparation necessary. Follow the Placement Instructions.
Please contact Eric Bohman, Placement and Testing Coordinator, with any questions or concerns: firstname.lastname@example.org or 847.925.6750.