Ten Questions with Dr. Rob Hill
- June 24, 2022
- June 24, 2022
Dr. Rob Hill is on a mission. Currently serving as an inclusive instructional design specialist in the Academy for Teaching Excellence at Harper College, they collaborate with faculty and staff to improve the learning experience for all students. With a focus on diversity, equity and inclusion in Harper classrooms, Rob works with colleagues and educational leaders to improve equity outcomes through research, curriculum design and policy review. But when they’re not out improving the lives of Harper students, they can be found kicking back on the couch with their partner and cat.
1. Describe your perfect day.
A leisurely morning with a good cup of coffee. Some time on the couch with my partner and our cat, some time for a walk outside, maybe watch a show, definitely play some games. A lot of good food, at and between mealtimes. A beach would be involved somehow.
2. What is something people often get wrong about you?
My gender. I am genderqueer/non-binary and use they/them pronouns. Being non-binary can be hard for a lot of people to understand, in part because non-binary people don’t look like just one thing or one key characteristic, but that’s just like people of any other gender.
3. If you could make a documentary on any topic, what would it be and why?
I would love to make a documentary on the advantages of a liberal arts education, and how education can and should be more than just job preparation. Job preparation is important of course, but I would love to show how college benefits everyone when it is about personal growth, honing one’s critical sensibilities, thinking and doing intellectual work individually and in groups, exploring one’s place in the world (including, but not limited to, career path), and more.
4. What songs are essential to the Rob Hill-curated playlist?
Too many to list! But here’s a sample:
- “Bad Romance” by Lady Gaga
- “Good as Hell” by Lizzo
- “Zero” by Yeah Yeah Yeahs
- “Unbelievers” by Vampire Weekend
- “Dancing On My Own” by Robyn
- “XO” by Beyonce
- “Bloodbuzz Ohio” by The National
- “Only Happy When it Rains” by Garbage
5. Last show you binged and loved?
My partner and I watched the most recent episode drop of The Owl House and are eagerly awaiting the rest of the series!
6. What's a color you gravitate towards?
7. What do you wonder about?
I wonder what my niblings (nephews and nieces) will be like as they get older. They have such big, joyful personalities now and I hope they grow in ways that feel good for them. I hope that my generation and other older generations do more to prepare the world for them and their peers to live the lives they deserve.
8. If you could go back and tell 13-year-old Rob Hill one thing, what would it be?
It’s OK to like the things you like, and it’s OK to read strategy guides for video games when you get stuck.
9. What are you hopeful for?
A more just world. More connections between people. More joy.
10. What do you love most about Harper College?
I like a lot of things about Harper, but one maybe mundane thing I love is taking walks around the pond. It’s so calming and beautiful any time of year.