Become a dental hygienist
Harper's Dental Hygiene Program is a full-time, six-semester career program leading to an Associate in Applied Science degree. It is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association. This is a limited enrollment program.
In fall 2021, 100% of the graduates of Harper’s Dental Hygiene Program passed both the American Dental Association’s National Board Dental Hygiene Examination and the Commission on Dental Competency Assessment’s Clinical Board Examination.
The next application window will open Oct. 1, 2022, for the summer 2023 class selection. Click on the Admission Criteria and Process link below to review the summer 2023 admission requirements.
Prepare for a health profession
The Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree is designed to prepare you for entry into this profession. Coursework in the AAS may also prepare you to transfer to a four-year college or university. This is a limited-enrollment program.
Harper also offers institution-specific transfer information to help prepare you to transition to a four-year university. To learn more, visit our Transfer Information page or see your advisor.
The program in dental hygiene is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation. The Commission is a specialized accrediting body of the American Dental Association and is recognized by the United States Department of Education. The Commission on Dental Accreditation can be contacted at (312) 440-2500 or at 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611. The Commission’s web address is: http://www.ada.org/en/coda
- Admission Criteria and Process 2023
- Catalog Course Descriptions 2022
- COVID Vaccine Requirement 2022
- Program Highlights and Accreditation 2022
- Organizing Framework of the Dental Hygiene Program 2022
- Graduate Competencies for the Entry-Level Dental Hygienist 2022
- Important Factors to Consider Before Applying 2022 (pdf)
- Estimated Program Costs 2022-2023 (pdf)
- Program Participation Requirements 2022
- Skill Development and Successful Progression Through the Program 2022
- Workplace Success Skills 2022 (pdf)
- Dental Hygiene Graduation Requirements 2022
- Board Examination Results-Success of Harper Dental Hygiene Students 2022 (pdf)
- Dental Hygiene Faculty 2022
- Dental Hygiene Clinic 2022
- Self-assessment Questionnaire 2022 (pdf)
- Career Information 2022
- Dental Hygiene Scope of Practice & Illinois Dental Practice Act
- Job Placement Resource Center 2022
For more information about starting your career as a dental hygienist, contact Admissions Outreach at 847.925.6700 or fill out our request information form.