Become a dental hygienist
Harper's Dental Hygiene Program is a full-time, six-semester career program leading to an Associate in Applied Science degree. It is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association. This is a limited enrollment program.
In 2020, 100% of the graduates of Harper’s Dental Hygiene Program passed both the American Dental Association’s National Board Dental Hygiene Examination and the Commission on Dental Competency Assessment’s Clinical Board Examination. Class of 2021 will be taking their board exams in fall 2021.
Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, submission of applications for the Dental Hygiene program has been delayed for one year. The class selected to start in the summer of 2020 started, instead, in the summer of 2021. Therefore, the next application window will open Oct. 1, 2021, for the summer 2022 class selection. We appreciate your patience while work with the current students to ensure their time and effort for success in the program is realized. Click on the Admission Criteria and Process link below to review the summer 2022 admission requirements.
Harper College is offering this program at the single rate of tuition until Spring 2022 semester.
Prepare for a health profession
The Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree is designed to prepare you for entry into this profession. Coursework in the AAS may also prepare you to transfer to a four-year college or university. This is a limited-enrollment program.
Harper also offers institution-specific transfer information to help prepare you to transition to a four-year university. To learn more, visit our Transfer Information page or see your advisor.
The program in dental hygiene is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation. The Commission is a specialized accrediting body recognized by the United States Department of Education. The Commission on Dental Accreditation can be contacted at (312) 440-4653 or at 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611. The Commission’s web address is: http://www.ada.org/en/coda
- Admission Criteria and Process
- Catalog Course Descriptions 2021-2022
- COVID Vaccine Requirement
- Program Highlights and Accreditation 2021-2022
- Organizing Framework of the Dental Hygiene Program 2021-2022
- Competencies for Dental Hygienists 2021-2022
- Important Factors to Consider Before Applying 2021-2022 (pdf)
- Estimated Program Costs 2021-2022 (pdf)
- Program Participation Requirements 2021-2022
- Skill Development and Successful Progression Through the Program 2021-2022
- Workplace Success Skills 2021-2022 (pdf)
- Dental Hygiene Graduation Requirements 2021-2022
- Success of Harper Dental Hygiene Students 2021-2022 (pdf)
- Dental Hygiene Faculty 2021-2022
- Dental Hygiene Clinic 2021-2022
- Self-assessment Questionnaire 2021-2022 (pdf)
- Career Information
- Job Placement Resource Center 2021-2022
For more information about starting your career as a dental hygienist, contact Admissions Outreach at 847.925.6700 or fill out our request information form.