Become a dental hygienist
Harper's Dental Hygiene Program is a full-time, five-semester career program leading to an Associate in Applied Science degree. It is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association. This is a limited enrollment program.
In 2019, 100% of the graduates of Harper’s Dental Hygiene Program passed both the American Dental Association’s National Board Dental Hygiene Examination and the Commission on Dental Competency Assessment’s Clinical Board Examination.
Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, submission of applications for the Dental Hygiene program has been delayed for one year. The class selected to start in the summer of 2020 will start, instead, in the summer of 2021. Therefore, the next application window will open Oct. 1, 2021, for the summer 2022 class selection. We appreciate your patience while work with the current students to ensure their time and effort for success in the program is realized. Click on the Admission Criteria and Process link below to review the summer 2022 admission requirements.
Prepare for a health profession
The Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree is designed to prepare you for entry into this profession. Coursework in the AAS may also prepare you to transfer to a four-year college or university. This is a limited-enrollment program.
Harper also offers institution-specific transfer information to help prepare you to transition to a four-year university. To learn more, visit our Transfer Information page or see your advisor.
The program in dental hygiene is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation. The Commission is a specialized accrediting body recognized by the United States Department of Education. The Commission on Dental Accreditation can be contacted at (312) 440-4653 or at 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611. The Commission’s web address is: http://www.ada.org/en/coda
- Admission Criteria and Process
- Catalog Course Descriptions 2020-2021
- Program Highlights and Accreditation 2020-2021
- Organizing Framework of the Dental Hygiene Program 2020-2021
- Competencies for Dental Hygienists 2020-2021
- Important Factors to Consider Before Applying (updating for 2020-2021) (pdf)
- Estimated Program Costs 2020-2021 (pdf)
- Program Participation Requirements 2020-2021
- Skill Development and Successful Progression Through the Program 2020-2021
- Workplace Success Skills 2020-2021 (pdf)
- Dental Hygiene Graduation Requirements 2020-2021
- Success of Harper Dental Hygiene Students 2020 (pdf)
- Dental Hygiene Faculty 2020-2021
- Dental Hygiene Clinic
- Self-assessment Questionnaire 2020-2021 (pdf)
- Career Information (Updating for 2020-2021)
- Job Placement Resource Center 2020-2021
For more information about starting your career as a dental hygienist, contact Admissions Outreach at 847.925.6700 or fill out our request information form.