Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Get clinical experience
A diagnostic medical sonographer is a highly skilled professional who uses specialized ultrasound equipment to record visual images of internal structures of the abdomen, pelvis and neck. They work in hospitals and outpatient settings producing these ultrasounds to assist the physician in diagnosing disease.
This degree program prepares the graduate to secure their American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography credentials and entry-level work in the abdomen and obstetrics/gynecology specialty areas. The graduate also receives instruction in vascular sonography. A clinical hospital experience in abdominal, small parts, vascular, obstetrical and gynecological ultrasound is provided.
Because of the nature of clinical experiences and individualized instruction required in this program and specialized technology and the equipment necessary to offer this program, a higher tuition rate is assessed for career-specific courses, including courses with the DMS prefix. Tuition for these courses in this program is 200 percent of the standard tuition rate.
Prepare for a health profession
The Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree is designed to prepare you for entry into this profession. Coursework in the AAS may also prepare you to transfer to a four-year college or university. This is a limited-enrollment program.
- Admission Criteria and Process
- Catalog Course Descriptions
- Functional Abilities of Health Science Programs (be certain to review Functional Abilities Unique to Imaging Programs)
- Functional Abilities of Diagnostic Sonographers (PDF)
- Harper Career Paths: Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Interpreting your NLN Exam Score Report (PDF)
- Program Effectiveness Measures
- Program Overview (pdf)
- Job Placement Resource Center
- Request Information
- Attend a Pre-Recorded Online Information Session
- Attend a Live Online Information Session
- Apply to Harper
For more information about the DMS program at Harper, please contact Admissions Outreach at 847.925.6700 or fill out our request information form.