Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Technology
The courses in this curriculum are theory-designed and service-oriented. Theory courses study heat laws, gas laws, pressures and thermodynamics for energy conservation. Service courses are designed around a strong hands-on philosophy. Emphasis is placed on operation maintenance, service and repairs of heating, air-conditioning and refrigeration systems;
Graduates from this 61 credit-hour program may be employed as service technicians, technical consultants, equipment installers, facility operation engineers, property managers, project managers, insurance adjusters and sales personnel.
|ELT 145||Variable Frequency Drives||2|
|HVA 200||HVAC/R Mechanical Codes and Standards||2|
|HVA 201||Refrigeration System Design||2|
|HVA 203||Load Calculations||2|
|HVA 204||Air Distribution||2|
|HVA 205||Customer Service and Support||1|
|Humanities [Humanities]+ or
Social and Behavioral Science
[Social and Behavioral Science]+
1Students may take MTH080, MTH 097, MTH 101, MTH 103, or higher
+The Humanities or Social and Behavioral Science course must meet the World Cultures and Diversity graduation requirement.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete this program will be able to:
- Use tools of the trade to properly cut, bend, form, flare, solder and braze refrigeration copper tubing.
- Utilize several techniques for locating refrigerant leaks and make repairs on a refrigeration system.
- Operate a recovery machine to properly recover refrigerant from a refrigeration system to a recovery cylinder.
- Properly charge refrigeration and air-conditioning system.
- Troubleshoot refrigeration and air conditioning systems.
- Read, interpret and draw electrical schematic diagrams of HVAC equipment.
- Electrically test and determine the conditions of controls and components of HVAC equipment with a multi-meter.
- Take pressure temperature readings, graph linear measurements and perform mathematical calculations.
- Gather data and information on HVAC equipment, components and controls.
- Recognize tool / instruments of the HVAC trade and know how to properly use them with HVAC equipment.