Curriculum and Instruction
Evaluate curriculum and assess outcomes to provide optimal and diverse educational
opportunities for Harper students.
Faculty-directed curriculum development and evaluation provide Harper College with
enriching courses and programs of study. Continual evaluation at course and program
levels maintains curriculum currency and relevance. Curriculum will continue to be
evaluated with deliberation, care, and collaboration to ensure that it meets intended
outcomes and evolving student, community, transfer, workforce, and global needs. Various
forms of discipline-specific assessment at Harper College encourage reflection, responsiveness,
and adjustment, toward helping all students master the knowledge and skills needed
to achieve their educational goals.
Goal Targets 2016–19
- Implemented a process for quality assurance in online/blended courses that included
implementing professional development for new online instructors and creating a five-year
course design review cycle.
- Offered online courses on Action Research where 27 faculty members completed projects
that included homework practices, study skills, motivation, textbook compliance, writing
support, exit tickets, exam wrappers, and incorporating student outcomes in the class
- Implemented Open Educational Resources (OER) where faculty either adapted, adopted
or created course materials for students. In spring 2019, 20 faculty implemented OER/no-cost/low-cost
course materials in 36 sections, impacting 877 students.
- Supported 48 faculty members in implementing classroom changes designed to increase
course retention through adoption of one of the following research-based strategies:
interacting with students by name; checking in regularly; scheduling one-on-one meetings;
and practicing paradox. Faculty perceptions of their own self-efficacy were impacted
positively, and student withdrawal rates decreased in courses taught by faculty who
participated in the initiative.
- Awarded one grant to support curriculum development for the ENG101 ALP course.
- Identified high-impact teaching practices.
Annual Outcomes Reports: