What Happens at Orientation
Your New Student Orientation will get you started on the path to success!
After submitting your application, please review your "New Student Checklist" in your MyHarper Portal.
1. Attend an Orientation Welcome Session.
Learn how to navigate your student portal, connect with resources and services to support your success, and meet Harper College students and staff by attending a virtual or on-campus Orientation Welcome Session.
2. Plan your path.
Once placement for math and English is demonstrated, connect with an advisor who will help you choose an Area of Interest and create your first semester educational plan using Degree Works. Schedule your orientation advising appointment in the New Student Checklist located in the My Harper Portal.
Be prepared to discuss the following:
- The Area of Interest you plan to pursue. Still deciding on what you want to study? Check out this online career workshop or attend a virtual live career workshop
- If you are planning to transfer, the colleges/universities you are considering.
- Ways we can support you as a new student (e.g., study skills/time management, financial planning).
3. Register for classes.
After your orientation advising session, you will register for classes and make payment arrangements. For most students, the first semester of college includes math, English, and Start Smart coursework. We'll show you how to manage everything through MyHarper Portal. Learn how to register for classes here.
4. Learn more about Harper Resources. (Optional)
View this online orientation presentation that includes information about additional Harper resources and what to expect as a Harper student.
Watch these videos to learn more about how to get started:
Books and supplies.
Visit the HarperStore for books, supplies and Harper gear.
We address many important "getting started" details in Orientation. Follow-up appointments and questions are encouraged. Please contact the Center for New Students and Orientation at email@example.com or 847.925.6208.
For questions about registration, payment, and financial aid, please contact the One Stop.