Complete the FAFSA
Applying for federal and state grants starts with completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) administered by the U.S. Department of Education.
General Eligibility Requirements must be met for students to be considered for federal and state financial aid programs.
How to Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
1. Gather Information
You will need to have specific information available when completing the FAFSA. See the Information You'll Need.PDF
2. Create an FSA ID
If you have not done so already, you will need to create an FSA ID. If you are a dependent student, a parent will also need to create an FSA ID. An FSA ID is a username and password. It may take up to 3 days to receive your FSA ID.
The FSA ID is used to electronically sign your FAFSA and to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education (ED) websites. You will use the same FSA ID to reapply for financial aid each year.
- Watch an instructional VIDEO on How to Create an FSA ID.
- Create your FSA ID at https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/fsaid.
3. Download the myStudentAid app to complete the FAFSA using a tablet or mobile phone. Choose iOS or Android. The FAFSA continues to also be available online.
We encourage you to complete the FAFSA as early as possible to maximize your chances of receiving assistance.
You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid every academic year.
- 2018-2019 FAFSA (use federal 2016 taxes)
- 2019-2020 FAFSA (use federal 2017 taxes)
Be sure to add Harper College's School Code: 003961 to ensure that your information is sent to Harper.
- Watch an instructional VIDEO on How to Fill Out the FAFSA.
There are follow-up steps for you to take after completing the FAFSA.
1. Review the Student Aid Report (SAR)
Your SAR will be emailed once you submit the FAFSA. You may also view your SAR at fafsa.gov. If there are any errors or rejections noted on the SAR, promptly follow the instructions to make the corrections. You may request assistance from Harper College with making corrections.
2. Complete and Submit Requested Documents to Harper College
We may request additional forms and documents to verify your eligibility and the information you provided on the FAFSA. You can view your unmet requirements in the Finances tab on the MyHarper Portal. Follow the instructions and include the required signatures. While reviewing your information, corrections may be required to your FAFSA and these will be made by the financial aid staff.
3. Read and Accept Terms and Conditions
Every student is required to read and accept the Terms and Conditions on the MyHarper Portal as part of the financial aid awarding process.
4. Receive an Award Notification