Harper College will be closed on Monday, January 18, in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

Federal and State Benefits for Veterans

Federal Benefit Programs

The MGIB-AD program provides up to 36 months of education benefits to Veterans and Service members who have at least two years of active duty.  See Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty - MGIB-AD (Chapter 30) for benefits and eligibility information.

Apply now by filling out VA Form 22-1990 (Application for Education Benefits)

The MGIB-SR program provides education and training benefits to eligible members of the Selected Reserve, including the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components and VA makes the payments.

See Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve - MGIB-SR (Chapter 1606) for benefits  and the steps to become eligible and apply.

The Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA) program offers education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of Veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of Veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.

Type of Assistance
Benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

See Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance - DEA for benefits and eligibility information, and the steps to apply.

Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) services are available to help with job training, employment accommodations, resume development, and job seeking skills coaching. Other services may be provided to assist Veterans and Service members in starting their own businesses or independent living services for those who are severely disabled and unable to work in traditional employment.


See Veteran Readiness and Employment to learn more about the VR&E program and how to apply.

Those with at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or are an honorably discharged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, may be eligible for up to 36 months of education benefits through this VA-administered program.

If you have eligibility for the Post-9/11 GI Bill® and any other GI Bill® program you must make an irrevocable election of the Post-9/11 GI Bill® before you can receive any benefits. For more information see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® has a few specific components that are unavailable in other GI Bill® programs:

View information on the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) for dependents of Service members who died in the line of duty after Sept. 10, 2001.

View housing information on Forever GI Bill: Monthly Housing Allowance Guide.

See Post 9/11 GI Bill® for benefits and eligibility information.

Military Tuition Assistance is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Navy and National Guard. Congress has given each Service the ability to pay up to 100% for the in-district tuition expenses of its members.

Each Service has its own Tuition Assistance criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process and restrictions. This money is usually paid directly to the institution by the individual services. 

For more information and to begin the application process, follow the link to the branch educational page.

State Benefit Programs

The Illinois Veterans Grant Program pays tuition and fees for either undergraduate or graduate study at all Illinois public colleges and universities. Recipients may use their grant assistance up to a maximum of 120 eligibility units.

See Illinois Veterans Grant Program for eligibility information and the online application.

Questions? Contact the ISAC Special Awards Unit at 800-899-4722 or Harper College's One Stop at 847-925-6710.

Enlisted or officers of Illinois National Guard Units with one or more years of service may be eligible for payment of tuition at state universities and colleges in Illinois through the ING. Recipients may use their grant assistance up to a maximum of 120 eligibility units.

Application must be made annually and is available from ISAC.  See Illinois National Guard Grant or eligibility information and the online annual application.

Questions? Contact the ISAC Special Awards Unit at 800-899-4722 or Harper College's One Stop at 847-925-6710.

The MIA POW Scholarship is available to dependents of Illinois veterans who are/were prisoners of war, declared missing in action, deceased, or have 100% service connected disability.

Scholarship Benefits

  • Full payment of tuition at any state supported Illinois institution of higher learning.
  • Renewable up to four calendar years of full-time enrollment including summer term (120 points).

You may request more eligibility information from the VA by calling 217-782-3564.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Explore Veterans Services

alert iconCoronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak
Harper College has implemented safety measures that impact coursework, events and travel. Read More