First time using Veterans benefits at Harper
Use this checklist if this is the first time you are using Veterans benefits at Harper College. Please submit all requested documents to the One Stop, Room A250, firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 847.925.6928.
Review Essential Information for Veterans
Apply for Admissions (Fee Waiver Application is Available through Admissions Outreach)
- An application fee waiver fee is available through Admissions.
Submit all Official College Transcripts
- Email transcripts to email@example.com
- See Credit for Military Service page.
Submit DD214* (Service 2 or Member-4 copy)
- Complete only if your federal benefits application is in process. If using a DD214 for eligibility, you must also submit confirmation that you applied for your benefit.
Apply for VA Education Benefits
- Complete the Application for VA Education Benefits (Form 22-1990) online application for FEDERAL benefits.
° If you are a dependent, follow the prompts to apply on eBenefits.
- Applications for state benefits (Illinois Veterans Grant and Illinois National Guard Grant) are available at isac.org and MIA POW Scholarship administered by the Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs.
- Consider Tuition Assistance through your branch of Service.
Explore your Eligibility for Additional Financial Assistance (optional)
- Review and apply online for Harper College Donor Sponsored and Institutional Scholarships, and External Scholarships.
- Complete the online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Use Harper College's School Code 003961.
- Additional assistance is available through grants, student employment and federal loans.
Provide Copies of All Certificates of Eligibility for any Benefit(s)
- If you are using the Illinois National Guard Grant, you are required to reapply for the benefit and we require a new Certificate of Eligibility every academic year.
Meet with an Academic Advisor and Submit an Academic Plan
Register for Classes
- Submit the online Veterans Enrollment Confirmation (VEC) form.
- VECs must be submitted after registration each semester you intend to utilize benefits.
- Students that utilize tuition-specific benefits will NOT need to arrange payment methods at time of registration, however, there may still
be an outstanding balance for which the student is financially responsible. Those
utilizing Veterans benefits not listed below will be responsible for committing to a payment method at time of registration:
- Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®
- Chapter 31 Veteran Readiness and Employment
- Illinois Veterans Grant
- Illinois National Guard Grant
- MIA/POW Scholarship
- Military Tuition Assistance
- Review these important Disclosures for Veterans Educational Assistance Programs.
If you need assistance or would like to speak with a Veterans expert, please contact the One Stop, Building A, Room A250, 847.925.6710, firstname.lastname@example.org.
* If we use your DD214 in place of a certificate of eligibility and you are deemed not eligible for educational benefits, you will be financially responsible for any balance accrued with the college. This may also include out-of-district fees that were originally waived due to the benefit you claimed.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information
about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government
Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
Explore Veterans Services